Friday, February 8, 2013

Did you know you can FREEZE this?!




As I am sitting here...and snow is falling outside (blah!) I figured I would do a post on foods that you can freeze!  Alot of these I didn't know about and a few I have tried.  Sometimes when I tell people that I freeze Pillsbury Grands rolls, milk, butter, or cheese I will get the look like, you do what?!  But I have frozen all of those and some for a long period of time and they still taste and cook great!!
Here's a list I found on Pinterest:
  • Shredded Cheese – Add a little cornstarch before you freeze and it will help keep the cheese from sticking together.
  • Chips – Yes you can! It preserves the freshness and they never freeze solid. You can eat them right out of the freezer.
  • Saltine Crackers
  • Bread- Wrap in foil or paper towel then place in freezer bag. Do not let any moisture in or out.
  • Baked Goods
  • Coffee
  • Tea Bags
  • Berries & other Fruits – Buy them in season and freeze at the peak of freshness. You won’t have to pay higher prices in the off season.
  • Nuts
  • Butter/Margarine – Can be frozen up to 8 months.
  • Herbs
  • Pasta sauce
  • Granola
  • Yogurt
  • Whole Milk (Pour about 1 cup because it will expand when you freeze)
  • Cut up veggies and freeze for later.
  • Freeze leftovers of course.
  • Meats (thats a given)
  • Dried beans
  • Rice

  • Alot of times I will be veggies on sale for example Brocolli was on sale super cheap a few weeks ago, so I bought a bunch, blanched it and then froze it into smaller packages.  I do the same with boneless chicken when it's on sale for $1.99 a pound or less I will stock up and put it into smaller packages for my family.  I can usually get 5 meals out of one 10 lb bag of chicken. 
    What are some unique things that you freeze?

    ~Amie

    No comments:

    Post a Comment